Wednesday 1 January 2014

Predictions for 2014

Locally I want to help be part of the team that creates a local community bank in Tynedale, building on the base of the credit union, but expanding its numbers, size and scope so that we have a real local bank to take on the big banks.

Two big elections occur: Scottish Referendum and European Elections
My view remains that we are Better Together and that the Scottish people will agree. I will be campaigning there on several occasions in 2014.
As to the Euro elections I will be fighting hard for us to have a strong voice in Europe, and Martin Callanan is that person.

Syria I fear will be an ongoing civil war, but I hope to get a better understanding of the situation if I get the chance to visit, or meet with certain key players. I will blog much more on this as there are options ahead.

Iran remains, however, the key to improvement in global peace. If the nuclear reprogramming continues then we will all be able to both breathe a sigh of relief, and continue to reduce the wider impact and extent of Middle East conflict. I have not been on a work trip to the region in 2013 - regular readers will know I travel to the region every year. In previous years I have taken myself to Beirut, Israel, Jordan and Turkey.

Sport: as a former jockey and racing journalist I always like each bets: my long term each way tip for the national is Monbeg Dude, owned by Mike Tindall and some rugby mates. Last years third Teaforthree will also run well.
I fancy Rose for the Masters and Woods for the Open, and Europe for the Ryder Cup. Murray to win Wimbledon again would be too amazing, but we have to dream!