Wednesday 18 December 2013

The Church is right - pay day lenders and the banks themselves need sorting

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/12/coe-takes-aim-at-payday-lenders-but-what-about-the-banks/
Really pleased to see the recent advert by the Church of England launched yesterday morning, but as the Spectator reports the problems are twofold, and include the banks and their approach. I have lost count of the number of complaints from constituents I have received at the approach of the banks; I have also endured an interesting time myself with a high street lender, who have behaved terribly, and have now apologised unreservedly.  It took some time to sort for me, but many constoituents would really have struggled.
I am pleased to say that I am meeting my credit union tomorrow in Hexham, and a church leader, to talk about this exact problem of high cost credit, the extension of credit unions and the need for more local action on this issue.