Friday 13 December 2013

Hexham's loss a huge gain for Dudley & the Black Country as Graham Usher becomes Bishop of Dudley

He becomes the youngest Bishop in the country.
I have many tales to tell of Graham's faith, kindness, drive and compassion. I have never talked at length with anyone who has been able to articulate as well his sense of Christian faith; he has been exceptionally helpful to me as a church leader in so many ways. Justin Welby is the only clergyman who has impressed me more than Graham Usher, which is high praise. It has been a great pleasure and a privilege to get to know Graham over these last 5 years and he will be sorely missed in Northumberland.

My abiding memory, however, is finding him at my bedside when in hospital after my operation in. 2011. We talked and prayed together in a small high dependency unit - surrounded by fellow patients,  many of whom were moved to tears by his presence and words. He has been a source of solace for many people in Northumberland at many times. I will miss his counsel and Christian guidance very much. But the people of Dudley and the Black Country are very lucky. I shall be there at the inauguration of Bishop Usher on March 25th. in St. Paul's Cathedral in London.

Here is how the local Dudley / Black Country paper has reported his appointment:
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2013/12/12/new-bishop-of-dudley-is-named/