Wednesday 13 November 2013

The Sill Project is progressing but road improvements should happen too

In the summer a group of locals contacted me about the speeding and safety on the Military Road. As a result we held two separate meetings, including an round table at the Twice Brewed, with lots of locals, councillors, businesses, and representatives both from the Park and the County Council Highways department. To be fair NCC Highways have been very cooperative.
We managed to persuade the Northumberland County Council to team up with Northumberland National Park to conduct an assessment of the safety of the junction down to Vindolanda, and to look at improvements to safety of the Military Road, and surrounding area.
I have long taken the view that whatever happens with the Sill Project [which I fully support] the surrounding roads need improvement and safety measures. The speed in particular of drivers past the Twice Brewed is frequently in excess of 80-90mph. I have raised this with the Council and the Police and action definitely is needed.
As always I welcome further thoughts and opinions - simply email in and I will make sure that it is passed on. When I did the last blog on this issue in the summer many contacted us.