Sunday 24 November 2013

Preparing for the skills and apprenticeships debate on Wednesday - what would u raise?

I have a debate on Wednesday at 11.00 in the commons on "creating skills and apprenticeships in the north east". It is a subject I am passionate about. I am writing the speech today and tomorrow and welcome constituents and commentators thoughts, as Matt Hancock, MP, the skills and enterprise minister, is responding on behalf of the government. Matt was with me in the north east earlier this year, when we held an apprenticeship summit at Northumberland College. On the same day we visited Newcastle College, to which I have returned again, trying to promote the skills agenda that has the potential to transform the North East.
I will be making a number of key points for sure:
- I will look at what we have done in the past 3 1/2 years, whether it is the doubling of apprenticeships, the improvement in job numbers, my experience as an employer of an apprentice,and the many conversations I have had with businesses who are trying to increase their skills base. I have spent a lot of time at Egger in Hexham lately, both on the factory floor, where I helped the team on E line, or at the opening of the Engineering Academy last month. I am also a big supporter of the Journals apprenticeship campaign.
- I also will be talking about the work of the LEP, and more specifically the Adonis Report, and addressing what it is employers and businesses in the North East have said they need here to provide the jobs that we all so want.
- finally I will be examining the north east skills pilot that Dept of Business have just started in the north east - it is a huge step forward.
I could go on but the purpose of this blog is to ask for contributions, whether it is from NECC,the LEP, local papers, individual businessmen or women,employees, apprentices, think tanks or commentators. I would be disappointed if I got no response, but you all know my email, or can put a comment on the blog.