Thursday 24 October 2013

Thursday and Friday Diary - Haltwhistle and Prudhoe dominate

Today I am heading north first thing for surgeries + meetings in Northumberland and going to Dame Allan School in Newcastle to meet teachers and talk to the School Law Club. In the evening I will be having further meetings in Ponteland, and then am speaking at a dinner at the Golf Club.
On Friday 25th I am all day in Haltwhistle spending time at Haltwhistle Medical Centre to get a better understanding of modern Primary Care. I have spent more time in hospitals as a jockey and ill politician, but am looking forward to my second visit to the HMC.
At lunchtime I will be in the Pillar Box cafe in Haltwhistle's Main Street if anyone has an issue that they wish to raise, between 1-1.30
In the afternoon I will be dropping in on the Whistle Art project to meet Alison and the team, discuss their progress, and see the latest exhibition. Later that afternoon I am taking up a long overdue invitation to go round the Halty Sainsburys: looking forward to meeting the staff there.
That evening I am driving back to Prudhoe and will be knocking upon doors in Prudhoe before going to the West Wylam Residents’ Association at The Manors. I have been several times before but hope to see lots of locals there, whether they have general questions or specific surgery issues.
My apologies to those who would have liked me to be in Westminster at the debates there, but my Thursday / Friday diaries are pre booked long before we are told of the Backbench debates, and I simply cannot be in two places at once. Some time ago I decided to be in Northumberland for the Thursday / Friday slot as I will not be able to be there at all for Thursday and Fridays in November as the House is sitting 3 out of 4 Fridays. Both debates in the House today on APD and the Bully Banks are important but all constituents who have contacted me know my stand on both issues.