Friday 12 April 2013

Guest Post: Cllr Eileen Armstrong, Ponteland East and Stannington

With less that thirty days to go before polling day in the County Council elections I thought it would be a nice idea to hear from some of the local Conservative candidates standing around my patch. First up is Eileen Armstrong, our County Councillor in Ponteland East  and Stannington who is up for election on May 2nd...
I have been a Town Councillor for six years and a County Councillor for the past two years. I was elected as County Councillor at the by-election in November 2010 for Ponteland East . Having lived in Ponteland all my life, I am a widow, mother of three daughters and have two grandchildren – one of which attends Darras Hall First School. I have continued to represent the views of everyone regardless of their political persuasion.

The future protection of Greenbelt is of a high priority for those directly or indirectly affected as the majority wish to preserve Ponteland for the rural community it is; therefore I will continue to be your Greenbelt champion and take forward your views to County Hall.
Increasingly a large number of complaints are about the state of our roads but the Liberal Administration has this year cut a further 10% from the Highways budget. The Council owns £680 million of unused property costing £13 million a year to run...yet our roads are some of the worst in the County.
I am also currently working on behalf of those residents struggling with flooding. I appreciate this will be an on-going concern for many and I will continue to strive to achieve desired results for all.
At County Hall I have been leading the End of Life Care Working Group to raise the profile of End of Life issues. This will have a strong focus on helping people retain control, privacy, dignity and choice when faced with a life limiting illness.

I am passionate about the area I live in and that is why I want to continue to represent my community in the future.