Thursday 8 November 2012

Get Your Flu Jab!


Because of a racing fall at Stratford, when my left side was kicked in by a horse as we both fell at the second last, I have no spleen, and am immuno - compromised. As I result I need the flu jab. The seasonal flu vaccination is important to help protect those people who are more susceptible to serious complications or even death from flu. I would encourage all those that are over the age of 65 or are in one of the ‘at risk’ groups to visit their surgeries and get vaccinated.
Last year, 76% of people over 65 years and 57% in the at risk groups were vaccinated against flu in the Hexham area - that is a lot of people who remain 'at risk’. This is me getting the jab last week in Westminster. It worries me a little that the very sweet nurse is smiling so much - but the jab was effectively painless and takes 30 seconds. With a rough winter on the cards it is vital that pensioners in particular obtain the protection they need.