Tuesday 16 October 2012

The Scottish Independence Deal

I am really pleased that we have settled on a single question, decided in 2014.
I know many of my constiutuents want a vote on the issue, but I am confident that Scotland will reject independence. Voting may extend to 16 and 17 year-olds. This extension of the franchise has implications for young people's participation in other elections. Mr Salmond had clearly wanted the Scottish people to be able to choose full independence or what he calls "devo max" - full fiscal autonomy.

The most recent poll on independence came last week and found that 53% of Scots would vote "No" in a referendum if held tomorrow.  If the Scottish people wish to have independence then they must also pay all their own bills - including their pension deficit, NHS, the cost of the military bases and RBS's liabilities - all without the Barnett formula of subsidy from westminster. For my part I will be campaigning hard for the union - we are better off together.