Wednesday 6 July 2011

Cycling in Tynedale - the road classic and trailing in Kielder


Bradley Wiggins saluting the crowds as he wins in Stamfordham

The Tour De France stars Brad Wiggins and Mark Cavendish warmed up for the French classic by riding in the British road racing championships around the local villages of Stamfordham. The Hexham Courant did a great report of the race, which was a huge boost to local tourism and, of course, cycling in the area.
http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news/news-at-a-glance/cycling-stars-raise-the-roof-in-village-1.854175?referrerPath=news
I cycle to the House of Commons so next year some mates and I are planning on tackling the amateur section of the race which takes in Wark, Greenhaugh and Otterburn
Last year I did the 26 mile round Kielder circuit, on a mountain bike, but need time to tackle something more ambitious. My thanks to Martin and others at the Purple Mountain Bike centre who helped me out last year and who are keen for me to return.
If you are in Kielder make sure you get on a bike - the trails are amazing

Update 10/7/01: sadly for Brad his Tour de France ended early when he broke his collar bone in a fall in France last week. Having done the same [mine was when I got brought down riding at Leicester races] I know how painful it is to break a clavicle and have the operative scars to prove it. He will be back next year