Friday 3 December 2010

What do you think of Immigration cap?

Under Labour, few dispute our immigration system was broken. Migration reached almost 200,000 a year and no body seemed willing to take responsibility. The Coalition is committed to bringing the immigration system under control and reducing net migration to 1990s levels - from hundreds of thousands to tens of thousands.


Home Secretary Theresa May announced last week plans to achieve this. Plans which will cover economic visas; student visas and family visas.

Many people I talk to on the doorstep want to see this clear rational approach to immigration. I think everyone regonises immigration has a role to play in our economy and indeed society, but also that it needs to be at sustainable levels.


Do I think the cap will work? Yes I do. I know the Government has worked closely with businesses and will continue to listen to their feedback and that of the public. Drop me an email at hexham@tory.org and let me know what you think.